Monday, January 21, 2013

What do you see?

About 6 months ago my family joined Living Waters (LW)church in Elk River.  I really enjoy going to church there, and for me that's a big deal since I normally don't care much for going to church. 

I think what appeals to me about LW is you never really know what you are going to get any given Sunday.  First off, you never know who is going to be speaking.  We have 2 pastors but they account for probably half the Sundays, the rest are others in the church or guest speakers.  In addition to that there is time set aside for any believer in the church to walk up to the front and share what God's putting on their heart.  I always felt that the church could benefit from hearing from more than just one voice every week.  Nobody is that interesting.

The worship team has a general idea of what songs they will be doing but will often spin off into singing lyrics that just come to them at the moment.  People also have a lot of freedom to worship as they feel lead, without feeling judged. Often Somebody is up waving flags at the front of the sanctuary, some are laying prostrate, sometimes it seems half the church is up at the alter dancing and swaying to the music.  Other days are pretty sedate.  The only thing you can be really sure of is that you don't know what's going to happen.

I enjoy the freedom of those services, though I find I'm a little too reserved to walk up front and start dancing, simply raising my hands is pretty "out there" for me. That's just as well, though, since I'd probably look pretty stupid doing it.  More than once I've watched a middle aged man with a generous midriff waving flags and spinning on tiptoe like a little girl.  My personal opinion is that he should maybe do that at the back of the sanctuary, but then I'm pretty sure he doesn't care what I think, in fact I'm sure of it.  That's kind of the point though, he's worshipping God and apparently he and God are thoroughly enjoying themselves.  If I have a problem with it I can worship with my eyes closed, which is what I normally do.

One Sunday was particularly exuberant and there were 20 or 30 people were up front dancing.  I was sitting behind an elderly African American lady who walked stooped over a cane. She has difficulty making it to a seat but is faithful to come every week, despite her physical ailments.  As I was worshipping I noticed her start to make her way out into the aisle and slowly start shuffling her way to the front leaning heavily on her cane.  I was worried about whether she would make it there or if she might get bumped and knocked over.  Also, I had no idea what she was planning to do when she got there, other than sit closer to the front. 

I was frankly mesmerized as she made her way through the dancers to the very front of the crowd in the middle of the sanctuary.  She raised one arm while supporting herself with her cane on the other and she began dancing, swaying back and forth and waving her free arm.  It's one of the most beautiful things I've seen and found myself getting choked up.

I felt like, for a moment, I was able to see behind the veil to see things as they really are.  She's not the fragile worn out old woman I was seeing, she's a beautiful child of God who is free to dance to the delight of her Father.  It won't be that long before she is dancing before him with a young and healthy body once again.  That unshakable reality is the one she chooses to live in.  I was the fool for thinking otherwise.

I'm not that old yet, but I will be one day, and probably sooner than I think.  The joys and pleasures of this life will fade over time, but the reality of eternal joy and peace is on the horizon, and can't be snuffed out.  That lady helped me see more clearly that morning.  What do you see?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Chuck! I got Holy Ghost bumps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts and thank you for sharing! I am choked up too, just thinking about it...

    ReplyDelete